Thursday 3 November 2011

Style Icon: David Bowie

I always enjoy doing 'style icon' posts and thought it was about time i featured a man. Of course my obvious first choice was music legend David Bowie. The man who made men in make up cool. He created all sorts of stage characters, and constantly pushed the boundaries with fashion and make up.


Everyone knows the iconic Ziggy Stardust persona with the striking lightening bolt across the face, and spiky red hair. It was the iconic look that featured on the 1978 album Aladdin Sane.


I have been a fan of Bowie from an early age, thanks to my Dad who is a huge fan. I remember looking at his vinyl albums in fascination of this intriguing character, who looked like no one i'd ever seen. It was as if he was from another planet.


Taking inpiration from sci-fi, glam, and androgyny he created alter ego's and flamboyant stage looks that seemed to enhance his music even more.



"Offstage I'm a robot. Onstage I achieve emotion. It's probably why I prefer dressing up as Ziggy to being David."



Out of all his looks and alter egos my personal favourite has to be his Ashes to Ashes clown, I love the eerieness of both the song and video.


David Bowie has visible influences (style wise) in todays popular culture-not least in pop superstar Lady Gaga, who takes obvious inspiration from Bowies avante garde looks.


" I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring. "

(^_^)

No comments:

Post a Comment