Monday 4 January 2010

A Style Icon... Siouxsie Sioux

When i was growing up a huge hero of mine was Siouxsie Sioux. I used to be the 'goth girl' of my school and as far as i was concerned Siouxsie rocked the goth look the best.

I was and still am a big fan of the banshees and remember in my teens going to the indie record shop in my town and buying all their albums. The songs were like nothing i'd heard- dark, eerie, passionate... and siouxsie's voice- wow! I'd look through the album artwork and try my hardest to copy her style.

I remember first seeing her wild black hair and bold almost cleopatra like make up. I'd never seen anything like it before- and i grew up in a time when the female icons of popular culture were the likes of the Spice Girls and Steps, so she impressed me even more.

The thing that i admired most about her style was the fact that she was so different and interesting. She didn't conform to a stereotypical pretty or sexy look. Her style was strong and empowering. It was fierce!

Although my goth days are long over i still love Siouxsie and still see her as a style icon for alternative culture, and i still think her shockingly beautiful looks are amazing. She is one of my style icons for the simple reason that she had her own look, and never tried to follow fashion- she made her own, and still does :)

(^_^)

No comments:

Post a Comment